- This event has passed.
Sparkles: A Holiday Story
November 19 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Welcoming the Baden Storytellers! Kait Taylor has put together a wonderfully fun and interactive story performance of many holiday favourites: including one of ours, Gryla & her Yule Lads. Bring your own little Yule Lad in costume to join in on the fun. The afternoon will conclude with a visit from our most cherished northern friend (Santa!) with presents for all the children. This is the perfect way to spend your Saturday afternoon and get your holiday festivities started early.
As Yule rolls around, a child-hungry troll awakens to help parents be rid of their naughty children. Gryla has a hankering for a stew made from those misbehaving children, and her Yule Lads are here to spread mischief (or gifts if a young one has been on their best behaviour). Beginning on the 13th night before the solstice, the Yule Lads leave their home and visit all the children who have left tidy boots on their windowsill – leaving gifts if they see fit. The Lads arrive in this order…
- Sheep Worrier – In his search for a glass of sheep’s milk, Sheep Worrier arrives first. Naughty children receive potatoes from him.
- Gully Gawk – Another milk lover, this Lad travels only through gullies and rivers.
- Stubby – The smallest of the Lads, Stubby needs a stepstool to leave gifts for the children he visits.
- Spoon Licker – Fourth in line, Spoon Licker would be grateful for any sticky spoons left out for him on December 11th.
- Pot Licker – In search of crusty, grimey, pots, Pot Licker is quick to help clear the sink.
- Bowl Licker – With a preference for outdated lidded bowls, Bowl Licker is not getting much sustenance in years of late.
- Door Slammer – Known to awaken the whole family with his ‘music’, Door Slammer loves to loudly slam every door upon his arrival.
- Skyr Glutton – The eighth Lad will accept any flavour of Skyr, as long as there’s LOTS of it.
- Sausage Stealer – Nimble in his old age, Sausage Stealer favours freshly hung Bjugu but will accept it from the fridge as well.
- Window Peeper – A firm believer in reciprocity, Window Peeper leaves his gifts as payment for the small items he steals.
- Door Sniffer – On the hunt for baked goods and pastries, Door Sniffer’s acute sense of smell guides his way.
- Meat Hook – Reaching into homes through their chimneys, Meat Hook is known to steal smoked lamb on the 19rd.
- Candle Beggar – Like many of us, Candle Beggar collects candles on the 20th (a once, and maybe reemerging, gift).
And of course, the Yule Cat is out stalking for any children without new clothing to wear (hint to parents). Rag-wearing children are her favourite snack.
Take your pick of the characters and come dressed up to our storytime to join in on the fun. Though all children will go home with a gift, the best dressed will get something extra special.